7.15.2008

Eff-ing gorgeous!

We are sampling here at our southernmost station, and we are pretty much
iced in (nothing we can't break out of, don't worry). The ice really makes
for a surreal and utterly amazing landscape. I might as well be on the
moon. The sun also barely peeks above the horizon, so the light, when it's
around, is that warm diffuse light of sunrise/set. I wish I had the
bandwidth to post some photos here, but check the NCSU blog (linked at the
top right) which should have some photos up in a few days.

A downside, though, is that it's butt cold outside. It's been a steady
-11*C and most of our sampling equipment freezes up within minutes of
setting it on deck. Sounds weird, but I actually like this little
hardship... makes the fact that I'm in Antarctica that much more real. I'm
lovin it!!

No comments: