7.03.2008

T-minus 48 hours

It's nearly ship out time, and I feel fine. I've got my lab shit packed. I got lots of warm gear (to go along with the giant pile of clothes USAP gives you when you get there). Getting the iPod filled up. Got the seasick meds. Writing the obligatory pre-departure blog post. Why does this seem like an old hat already?

I'm really looking forward to it, though. Something about being on a work vessel - you end up getting in such a zone. I gotta tell ya, removing oneself from news, home BS, and other miscellaneous distractions is so dang therapeutic. And despite the dark and the cold, it's Antarctica!! - and how cool is it to do work there? Very cool, indeed.So I'm pretty sure I will be able to post to this blog from time to time from the ship via email. I will also be the posting for the official science blog (http://antarctica-ncsu.blogspot.com/) so be sure to check in there too. Don't ask how I got roped into that...

Anyway, the quick and dirty itinerary.:
05 Jul 08 - Fly to Punta Arenas, Chile
06 Jul 08 - Arrive Punta Arenas, Chile
10 Jul 08 - Depart Punta Arenas aboard R/V N.B.Palmer
14 Jul - 1 Aug 08 (approx) - Sample benthos along WAP shelf
4 Aug 08 - Arrive in Punta Arenas
5 Aug 08 - Fly back to Raleigh
6 Aug 08 - Arrive in Raleigh NC and get chained to the lab with lots of work to do.

No comments: